Wednesday 15 May 2013

Post-Election

Well, It's done.  BC has another Liberal government.  My comments?  None.  Other than to say I was ... as usual ... thoroughly disgusted with the negativity of electoral campaigning, especially during the final week or ten days running up to the actual election.  Seriously, I want a little box to tick on the ballot that says "none of the above"!  Predictably, overall voter turnout was very low ... I think the lack of voters is a very STRONG COMMENT that someone should be paying attention to!

Is is spring where you are?  I can't decide if it really is here or not.  Last weekend I did my balcony cleaning and planting ... but it's cold again today so I don't know how fast things are going to sprout!  (Actually, I have volunteer lettuce about an inch high already - was quite surprised to find that under the dead leaves!)  I've decided to go all veggies and herbs this year instead of flowers.  I have even found instructions for a DIY balcony composter and plan to construct that soon!  (Just call me Organic Nana!)  It really annoys me to have to toss veggie peelings in the garbage ... so I'm going to do something about that and make it possible to compost my own veggie scraps!  Makes me feel like the farm girl I remain at heart.

Sorry ... no balcony gardening pix ... there's not much to see but pots of dirt!  However, I will endeavour to take pix of the composter-constructing project.  Promise!

This won't be a post without photos though.  It's been busy busy busy at work ... we just celebrated our official grand opening (after moving into this new location Feb 1st).  It was a great party!  Here's a picture of the official grand opening ribbon "snip" ... left to right, yours truly, our Past President, our President, and our (newly re-elected) MLA.

 You'll notice a lot of BLUE in the photo above.  Our Intergenerational Group put out a fundraising challenge ... $500 in pennies for our Seniors Denture Program to see our President and Past President dye their hair BLUE ... and they surpassed that amount by nearly $200.  I did a BLUE shirt and BLUE fingernails for the day ... sorry, my white hair is staying white!  You will also notice the reflection of a BIG BEAR in the photo above.  We introduced our new Mascot ELDERBEARY to the community during our grand opening celebration.
 Elderbeary gave out a lot of hugs and helped draw winning entries for our door prizes.  Elderbeary (or at least the wonderful volunteer INSIDE Elderbeary) is quite excited about participating in lots of local community events in the future.  Great advertising or what!?!?  Not to mention FUN!

And speaking of fun ...

Have a great week, y'all!

1 comment:

slj said...

LOL..love the blue hair..It's always nice to raise more than you anticipated:)
I have given thought to getting a couple of plants..but haven't gotten around to it yet..
I think every one every where is disappointed in what is happening in our world..
Hope your weather gets stable..lol..I think our finally is..but you can never be sure..lol..
Sheri